Friday, August 7, 2009

Summer Vacation Reading


This summer I have actually finished several books. For our trip out west, I read Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer, which is a look at the Mormon Church and its offshoots but it also chronicles some of the exploration of Utah. It was interesting to drive through many of the Southern Utah towns in the book and be able to recognize names or understand how the area came about. Overall, this book is written well and does a good job of balancing the religious aspects of the area. The author that wrote this book also wrote Into Thin Air another good read that I finished many years back.

The next book I took for reading on the trip was Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reich. DH picked this book up for reading on one of his many business trips a few years ago. He thought I might like it since the show Bones is based on this series of books and the author is a producer of the show. This book is number 10 in the series. I definitely liked the book and the style in which she writes so I picked up and finished the next book in the series, Devil Bones. DH found this one at the Vegas airport to read on the trip back.

While the TV show Bones takes the main character from the book that is about it. I saw at the back of Devil Bones a Q&A question where she said that she thought of the TV show as the character was starting out so pre-book series. So now that we have acquired the first four books in the series I guess I will be working on those next.

No comments: