
When we first moved into this house I came across an arbor that was the exact size I wanted for the stairs leading into the upper meadow. For this arbor I knew I wanted to plant New Dawn which is a Hybrid Wichurana type rose. It is quite fragrant. New Dawn is a sport of Dr. W. Van Fleet which is a once bloomer. It was noted by a grower that a branch of Dr. W. Van Fleet was a remontant bloomer and so cuttings were taken to see if this was a stable sport of the plant. The new cuttings taken from this branch did indeed rebloom as the original so a new rose was entered into the market place. Being a sport this rose can revert back to it's original parentage and so you may have a New Dawn that blooms profusely or one that is more of a once bloomer which describes mine. With all the other roses in the yard that is ok by me. This is one of my few grafted roses.


Growing on the arbor with New Dawn are clematis Etoile de Violettes, clematis Vienetta Evipo006, and Alister Stella Gray.
Souvenir de Madame Leonie Viennot

This is another one of my aggressive tea climbing roses. This one throws 20 foot canes and doesn't look back. It is a once bloomer that begins the first part of April and continues blooming through mid May. It is sweet smelling with beautiful pinks and cream-yellow blooms. This rose comes from the Antique rose Emporium and was an impulse by at the local Botanical Garden sale. It was in bloom, I knew it was a tea and well it said take me home. Little did I know I had bought a once blooming climber at the time, thankfully the arbor was already built for another climber.
Excellenz von Schubert

This rose was acquired from the Antique Rose Emporium in TX and is a mainstay of my garden, blooming profusely in the Spring and then with respectable repeat until frost. This rose is a polyantha/Hybrid Musk type rose and since this rose is not fragrant it has been discussed that it is really Gartendirektor Otto Linne. Both are similar roses and are in the same class. Whichever rose, it is a keeper.
Alister Stella Gray

This rose is a Tea Noisette that I planted maybe 5-6 years ago. It basically replaced a New Dawn own-root that I had planted on the north side of the arbor and since the one on the South had taken over the whole arbor I decided that I wanted some mixed color. The New Dawn that was in this roses place originally went to live at my friend Bonnie's house and it is taking over its space quite nicely. Up until this year Alister Stella Gray has bloomed but not done much else, however, it has recently grown a nice new basal that has quickly shot up to 6 feet. Hopefully this will mean more mingling between it and New Dawn. This rose was acquired from Roses Unlimited in Laurens, SC in a 5 quart pot.
Salet


Salet is one of the more interesting roses I grow, it is a moss rose. Note all the prickles on the buds and on the stem, this is what makes a moss rose a moss. :) The prickles on the buds are flexible and don't hurt at all but the stems now that is another story. This is one of the few moss roses that will grow this far South and the color, rebloom and fragrance is quite outstanding. A worthy rose for the rose garden.
No comments:
Post a Comment